Hey Pennies Surfer’s I Got A Message For You!

Hey Pennies Surfer’s I Got A Message For You!

click photo for more information
Hey Pennies Surfer’s I Got A Message For You!
Hey Penny surfers! Yea you know who you are. Stop surfing all day just for pennies. Now don’t get me wrong there is nothing wrong with collecting stuff Badges, Zubee’s  Viral Traffic even pennies and whatever else is out there . However There is a fucking problem with all you people who’s only reason for […]
1918

imagesHey Penny surfers! Yea you know who you are. Stop surfing all day just for pennies. Now don’t get me wrong there is nothing wrong with collecting stuff Badges, Zubee’s  Viral Traffic even pennies and whatever else is out there . However There is a fucking problem with all you people who’s only reason for surfing is collecting pennies, not trying to build their business not looking at other people’s offer’s. Just collecting those fucking pennies. Look I collect stuff but that’s not my reason for surfing. I don’t get up in the morning and say Hey! I think I’ll surf all day to collect me some pennies and I’m not going to look at anyone’s site. I’m just going to stay focused on those surfing icons so I can click them the second they change. I’m not here to build a business or my brand or even spend money. I’m here to collect pennies. Bullshit!! Get the fuck out go find something else do to. Some of us are trying to build business’s, and we don’t want people who are surfing all day just for pennies and wasting our credits. If you want to collect pennies go to the fucking pennies arcade’s for Christ sake. Well that’s My Rant tell me your thoughts

Comments

Paul Kinder says:

Why doncha get off the fence man LOL

well said Scott, very well said.

Thank you Paul Lets take back The Te’s from the penny surfers lol

Sean Supplee says:

Then stop surfing and supporting the sites who encouraged this that might be a start

Carla Frey says:

While I agree with your observations regarding people who are only looking for the pennies, the foul language in the post totally turned me off. Can’t we get our point across without that? Not trying to cause controversy, just the way I feel.

scottrohn says:

Thanks for the comment Carla. That’s your opinion and I respect that. Normally I’m not a guy who runs around swearing. generally only happens when I get to the boiling point.

Carla Frey says:

I appreciate you taking the time to answer. Thanks for thinking enough about your readers for that.

Cindy Schellenberg says:

Yeah, hey Scott I agree about quit using the f-bomb. You don’t need that to make a point. My opinion.

Cindy Schellenberg

Mona says:

I happen to agree with others here. I was rather shocked as well compared to all those great videos and all I have seen you do in the past. It was a bit harsh and unprofessional language used, but that is how you write. Maybe you will attract other unprofessional folks to your blog that way – just saying. I hope not for your sake. I have read blogs for 40 years and I never seen one like this. I have seen maybe one curse word but not this many…maybe you can tweak it if you like. Is just my opinion YOU DO NOT have to do a thing. And if other folks want to surf for pennies or coins or stickers or XP or whatever it is their sole right to do so as well. We just need to pay attention to what we do not what others are doing. No one has time for that.

I know this is your rant but maybe it is best to write your rant on a piece of paper before you enter it on the WWW. This will be here forever.. would you want your son to read it? OR your future boss? Just some food for thought. I am not your Momma lol

scottrohn says:

Will I’m not going to tweak this post but I will refrain from this type of languge in the future

It was a quite rude post in my opinion. Have to have at least a bit of respect for your readers. I might be wrong, but I think that only after you have reached that closer connection with you audience and became an authority in their eyes, then you can get away with that kind of a language.

scottrohn says:

Yes Elina maybe it was Rude, but its how I felt. But next time I will try to reframe from the foul language

Why would I want to subscribe to this blog or even read it with its unprofessional tone. Why do business with someone with this attitude? Who is going to take anyone serious with that tone. Everyone has the right to surf TE’s as they wish as long as they follow the terms. As far as looking at sites, if I am interested I will look. But, I will not look just because you demand it.

scottrohn says:

Well its a Rant but I will try to keep in mind next time to keep the foul language out. I mean it not exactly the first one to do it. And I never demanded that you or anyone else had to look at every single site. And I also said there was nothing wrong with collecting pennies and other stuff. I did say there was something wrong with making that your only reason for surfing. and that’s my opinion, some will agree some won’t and that’s cool

Your post completely contradicts itself. One moment you say: “Stop surfing all day just for pennies.” Then a couple moments later you say: ” there is nothing wrong with collecting stuff Badges, Zubee’s Viral Traffic even pennies”.
Collecting is a by product of surfing these days, as more and more reward systems are put into place. I would venture to say there are some penny collectors out there who make more money than many business owners online, including you.
What works for one, may not work for someone else. To each his own.
And, I must agree with the previous comments. I would take your opinion more seriously if you spoke proper English without dropping the “f” bomb.

scottrohn says:

first off thanks for the comment Cathy. No I didn’t contradict myself, Yes I do collect stuff but I do it while looking at other people ad’s trying to get credits for my own ads. There are those who have no interest in building a business. who never look at anyone’s ads at all. Like I said in reply’s earlier I’ll try to keep in mind to keep the foul language out.

Ryan Hogan says:

A penny is a penny but what is the value of a badge or zubee?

scottrohn says:

Thanks for your comment Ryan. Granted pennies do add up, But do you like the idea that while your trying to build a business there are more and more people who’s only reason for surfing is to collect a few coins.

Jon Olson says:

Great book you should read about that….

‘Game Based Marketing’ – by Gabe Zichermann & Joselin Linder

Add me to the disgruntled – opionion_ should this be filed under archives or would be faster found if filed under crass or damned disgusting?

scottrohn says:

dully noted , but if you had read some of my reply’s you would have noted that I said I would try to keep in mind to remember to refrain from using foul language in the future. and thank you for your comment Fran

FYI … In the USA, there are a lot of people who collect aluminum cans in order to pay their rent each month. Imagine the work of walking and collecting an average 600lbs or more each month?

If they were online, they would fast become your penny surfers. Any idea why?

Then look at some of the mid eastern members who surf for pennies. What they can earn in a month online can double any income they can earn in their country. Then there is the conversion value. They get to eat for another day.

Penny surfers are sooo sad huh?
DUH!!

Scott as long as you have countries that penny surfers can make as much penny surfing as they can working full time, if they can find one at all.You are going to have penny surfers.

The trick is trying to get that penny surfer into a program where they can make some real money at. Looking at that way is better than just sounding off at them.

How to do the above is the big question!

Trying to get them into a program where they can build a down line and make some dollars so they can build a business and eat and pay rent at the same time is the hard one.

Do I blame them for penny surfing heck no I do not. If you cannot make enough where you live to pay rent and eat you are going to do what ever it takes to do so.

Ranting at them is not going to help you or them, or anyone else for that matter.

scottrohn says:

Thanks for the comment Eric and for your opinion on this matter. Which is exactly what I was sating my opinion

Sharon Albert-Chandler says:

When I surf, the ads that grab my attention are the ones I click on. I might “waste” a lot of credits that you’ve worked to build up, but you’ve contributed to that waste, by making a splash page that is of no interest to me, that cannot grab my attention.

There are so many people in the world who depend on those pennies for their livelihood. You’re going to get some people who have to surf in order to eat. There’s no question on that. Penny surfers are penny surfers, and are part of your market and part of your base of customers. Therefore, it’s your job to attract attention and keep it.

Clean up your language as well. I can’t respect someone who refuses to use the English language properly.

scottrohn says:

Hi Sharon thanks for your comment. But the key is your actually looking at the ads and I know not all ads are going to grab yours or anyone’s attention

Jon Olson says:

I’m enjoying the conversation and love to see the passion…Both from Scott’s comments and the people that took time out to make their own.

Great stuff for sure 🙂

For everyone one person that says it’s ‘foul language’ there is another that says it’s passionate and ‘real’

Very interesting 🙂

But as for penny surfers…..Meh, bring the focus back to building brands and lists….And USING badges, Zubees, and even pennies to help do that….Methods to the madness 🙂

scottrohn says:

Thanks Jon glad your liking the conversation. Just amazed by all the comments and they are all appreciated

russell says:

Lol
Excellent work Scott
too many elephants in the room and nobody noticing or standing up and pointing it out.
However just in case nobody has noticed the Traffic Exchange Industry is no longer about Traffic Exchange, Its about what I can get from my half hours investment of time, and lookie here, I just got half a cent, woo hoo,
But in all reality I have some very very wealthy friends who got there by saving their pennies 🙂

Kudos for the blog post Scot, and Kudos for promoting yourself and what you have to offer, it will build your list and pay off in the long term 🙂

scottrohn says:

Thank you Russell for your comment. I like that too many elephants in the room

Steve Ayling says:

While I think that the foul language is not professional and I probably would have worded the post a lot differently. I have to agree with the idea of the post.

I know some say that penny surfers are just part of it and that they rely on the pennies to put food on the table etc this surely highlights a massive point, no?

See in my opinion, if there is a TE that caters to people that want to earn a few pennies then it is in reality probably not a bad thing to have one that targets just that. You will get a few advertisers that want to be seen by those people a bit like a surf version of PTC.

However what you really need to ask yourself when using a traffic exchange is who is my target audience. See those that need those pennies for putting food on the table are not going to buy a yearly upgrade or a $27 product etc (Simply because that would be like 2 months income to them) Yes someone will pop up now and say some will so I will say you may get a couple people here and there that do but in whole its a waste of time if your after big spenders.

That is mainly a matter of global positioning of the surfer and the fact that what would not buy me a litre of fuel in the UK would feed a family for a week in another country. Nothing wrong with it just how it is and a different demographic.

See if you are trying to make sales that are within budget of people and not a months earnings then you would be better off advertising in the sites that do not attract those people that just simply cant afford your service/product.

The main problem is that TE owners insist on penny prizes and attracting those people that are after pennies, Mainly because it brings up numbers of members (You know its all about how many you bring in to some people) also it brings up surfing massively although in reality it is wasting those credits of them that are after sales that are more than what most surfing can afford.

The answer is that firstly if TE owners want to improve the results then they need to stop offering pennies for surfing and take that hit of less surfing but better because in reality the results you get back from advertising in those TE’s is limited because as mentioned before probably 75% of the member base simply can not buy your stuff even if they wanted to.

Now some will say here we go again, saying TE results are down, yes they are in regards to how many page views that is needed per $ earned in sales. Although some will judge results on signups/clicks etc to me in business it all boils down to your bottom line. So I really think the point of this post actually hits the nail on the head in fact of what is happening as a whole.

So before you say im wrong and listen to a lot of owners that will tell you that results are not down as they make as much money today as they ever did and that its all about how many new members you can get through the door, just ask yourself their income might be the same or better but the number of views needed for making money is down for everyone and anyone disagreeing must have had a terrible splash before and a good one now.

So to sum up the only 2 ways to solve this if your goal is more money are 1) stop supporting TE’s that offer pennies for surfing. 2) owners that want better sales etc need to think about stopping offering them too. But that being said, if your goal is more members and more activity then keep doing it as it is but dont expect people to be making a lot of money from the traffic you supply.

scottrohn says:

Well Steve it was a Rant! I don’t know to many people who filter what they say when there pissed off. I had a certain way I was feeling and I wanted to get that out there right or wrong. As for pennies I collect them when they show but that is not my sole purpose for surfing and there are so many people who surf every day just to collect pennies nothing more. That being said I truly appreciate your comment

Paul Kinder says:

wow! huge post Steve – elephantine even – so there’s another one in the room now!

you know what Scott. this part of your post has me mulling…
“As for pennies I collect them when they show but that is not my sole purpose for surfing”

If pennies disappeared at any of your fave surf sites you wouldn’t stop surfing would you? (I’m 99% certain I know your answer!)

So if the pennies ain’t a factor in your decision where to surf, and you’re the real target market for an owner. Why would they offer pennies? (including me atm, I’m not in the hypocrite team!, I’m genuinely mulling this over)

So yes, some owners will be building a list hoping to change the penny surfers habits, but how many owners actually write to make that happen?

Not many from what I see in my inbox these days.

I have a whole spiel re marketing mix and balance but I gotta make a train so can’t say it all now. Prob better to say it when I release my new blog in the next week or two (at last! LOL)

Anyway, hopefully that’s enough to get some others really thinking about what they’re trying to achieve, and maybe stoke up some debate.

I LOVE this biz. fun times!

scottrohn says:

No Paul I would not stop surfing if the pennies disappeared and even if all the other stuff went bye bye. I was surfing before all this stuff was introduced. Hope that’s the answer you thought I would say. And Yes while the foul language did create shock and awe I could have sat back thought about it a reworded it. Like I said I apprciate everyone who comments on blog, even if they agree with me or not.

[…] for showing up, every day even when the deck was stacked against him. Last week, he had enough! He wrote a blog post where he passionately tore into the ‘penny surfing’ mentality and in the process […]

Sergio Felix says:

Hey Scott, I would NEVER apologize to my audience for dropping an F-Bomb (and even less, on my own blog!) no matter what.

If they wouldn’t want to do business with me afterwards, that’s perfectly fine, there’s always another side of the coin.

But one thing is for sure, the last thing you want surrounding you, is people with double standards.

Be yourself all the time and it will become effortless to build a genuine audience who REALLY likes following you because of what you do and represent.

If the second you make a mistake (or God forbid, let a little out of the real you and people get scared from it) then you’re not polarizing your audience enough.

I can’t tell you anything about success because you’re already a successful marketer but I know one thing though:

It’s a lot harder to try to be liked by everyone than to be liked by only a segment but the connections you’ll make the latter way, are much, much stronger and genuine.

Just my two cents.

Take care and keep on keeping on.

Sergio Felix

PS. Totally get your rant btw and I applaud you for taking a stand against penny seekers instead of people looking to become online business builders.

scottrohn says:

Hi Sergio thanks for your comment. In my daily life I hardly use that language. But when I’m mad which is what I was that language will come out. Being in the public eye which is what we are. I should have been more careful. I hope more people were able to see past the f bombs and got the message

Scott, I disagree with you about the penny surfers just because I know that if you can get their attention, some of them turn out to be your best recruits.

I love this post because it isn’t politically correct! You said what you felt and you said it with passion. Offend someone, at least then there’s some sort of dialog!

scottrohn says:

Hi Kendra thanks for your comment. Yea um The F Bombs aside this post was directed at those who’s only reason for surfing is collecting pennies nothing else. Overall there is nothing wrong with it as an added bonus to building your business.

Hi Scott , I have no opinion on your style of writing I myself have been known to Drop a bomb or 2 .. But the point of your post is an important one . Since the introduction to incentive surfing at least for the down-lines that i have they are more interested in taking away the pennies from a site. It would be one thing if they would purchase an up grade once in a while. Why so many haven’t figured out that it’s fine to start out free but if you really want to see some money you have to invest some. Owners of Traffic Exchanges invest to pay the incentives to us surfers and if we don’t show them support how long do you think the incentives will stay. This is my opinion on the matter and just in case anyone wants to know I am upgraded in many of the sites I use weather they offer pennies or other incentives or not. So in closing let me say hey surfers support the traffic exchanges your using click a link, click a banner join something, and most of all support your favorite sites by upgrading or purchasing something don’t just take!

scottrohn says:

Thanks for your comment Murray I’m not saying take the pennies away. I’m saying not to make it your one and only reason for surfing. They never sign up for anything never join anyone’s list and never upgrade. All they want to know is where those pennies are. Collecting pennies are anything else is a great bonus to do while your building up your credits to get your ads shown to build your list. Its a relief to know I’m not the only one that has dropped an F Bomb

A strong post, but served its purpose well by creating this discussion.

I doubt it will change the behavior of penny surfers, however.

As long as this activity partially or totally FULFILLS BASIC NEEDS of some surfers, they will continue to do it.

The alternative of building an online business or even earning as affiliates seems too blurred and far away, so few of the penny surfers will take this road.

Simply because they don’t see an immediate way to replace that steady flow of added pennies which helps them TODAY.

It’s hard to escape the freeware mentality (I should know, I’ve been there for years). But it probably seems almost impossible if you actually need the pennies you collect to put food on the table.

That won’t make penny surfers any more interesting for advertisers, which Scott rightfully noticed.

scottrohn says:

Thanks for the comment Adrian. Your probably right they’ll just click click away for there pennies no interest in building a list or there business. Lots of TE’s offer you coins for joining and surfing. There is nothing wrong with that. What I’m trying to say is don’t make it your only reason for surfing.

A penny passed is not a penny earned! A penny amassed is a fortune earned. Promote your one best business to the daily promo sites in VTG tournaments, Zubee games, and CTP games. It’s a marketer’s job to focus on where the traffic is, so make sure you know where all those penny surfers are every day and hammer their eyes with your best photo-branded splashpages & squeezepages, or at least make sure your name is drilled into their heads on a daily basis. Photos are one thing, but when everybody knows your name…Cheers to your easier income. The prize hunters do buy stuff, many of them open their own traffic exchanges with the pennies they’ve scraped up & saved meticulously. They ain’t dumb! It takes the 98% to magnify the success of the 2%, or it takes the 2% to provide pennies to the 98% and see which ones do something with their pennies.

scottrohn says:

Hi kathleen thanks for your insight. I don’t have a problem with people collecting pennies. This post was a rant directed at those who’s only reason for surfing is to collect a few coins.

Randy Howard says:

There is nothing wrong with exchanges offering pennies and other cash prizes/rewards, as long as they are included in commission payouts to all members.

We all offend others one way or another – personally the harsh language isn’t necessary but I totally understand why it was used.

None the less – good post as it resulted in getting attention and action taken by the readers.

scottrohn says:

Thanks for the comment Randy. Your 100% right there is nothing wrong with offering pennies other cash prizes Badges, Zubee’s, VTG and even Stickers . My point of this post was to try to get some of the people who’s mentality is just to surf for pennies to take an interest in building there business that’s all. Did I think it would get this much attention. Not in my wildest dreams

Aaron Green says:

Great Post Scott, As for the Language if anyone here was ticked off enough they would of Dropped the f-bomb too, But like you said don’t make it about just surfing for pennies, there is so much more to build in this business then just click, click, click. Spend their time wisely and use it to get noticed and build lasting relationships to help them make more with their time online.

A Penny saved is a Penny Earned.
Keep putting out Great Content…..

Scott,
I think the western world needs a reality check, in many parts of the world, collecting pennies online is saving people from starving. One billion people in the world are existing on less than $1.25 per day. We can’t imagine that, trying to feed children, having only 1 meal per day of beans or rice, and not having medical or educational services. Lots of people in underdeveloped countries don’t even have internet access. In USA, lots of poor people don’t even have the skills to earn online and don’t know about penny-surfing, and unfortunately don’t utilize library computers or teach their kids reading skills. In real time, right now, people are dying because of a lack of education and feeling isolated because of location and poverty. I’m sure nobody here wants to read this and think about it. The tail is wagging the dog, the people who can provide money need to seek out those who need it and find a way to provide more pennies for anyone who has internet access and knows about surfing to gain whatever they can. It’s not all about US all the time, not all about us as marketers, and not all about U.S. the country.

Blain Jones says:

HAHAHA, AWESOME!

Let it all out.

We’re here to build a business with a real residual income. Not for pennies every day. More people need to read this.

I love a good rant and have made a few of my own a time or two!

Love your blog Scott

scottrohn says:

thanks Blain it good to know there are people appreciate a good rant

[…] few months ago, there was a popular blog post on Scott Rohn’s blog that dropped a few ‘F Bombs’ and caused a stir. I did a follow up on the post to show […]

Mike Lawton says:

Wow. I don’t really know how I missed this one. Holy cow you got the who’s who on here from TE land, my man! I see all points of view. I personally have gotten myself caught up in the gaming aspect of traffic exchanges, mostly for the money. Its fun! But your right it isn’t doing much for your business and income long term or really even short term with cash outs at $10, $15 or $20. I think its tough to change mentality of Penny Seekers to Paid Seekers. I get messages all the time asking “how do I make money blogging?” my response goes unanswered 90% because my response is “Time and Money$” If you don’t have the money or time to build, Not going to work out. Great post! I agree with Jon “Passion” you got it brother.

Write a comment

1 Week In….18 People Like Me ;)

click photo for more information
1 Week In….18 People Like Me ;)
1 week in! I have to admit, after day 2 I was starting to get worried. We actually LOST a follower for Plus 1 Daily so instead of starting at 150, we actually begane this experiment at 149. And it was slow to start…. After day 3 or 4, we started to pull in some […]
268

The Human Guinea Pig Is Back! I Hope You ‘Like’ It…

click photo for more information
The Human Guinea Pig Is Back! I Hope You ‘Like’ It…
I’m back! Jon Olson – Human Guinea Pig! About a month ago we all took part in a little list building experiment using a simple squeeze page and the most misunderstood advertising tools online – Traffic exchanges. The results were great! We generated dozens of new subscribers to our mailing lists using only our traffic […]
242

Looking for a way to advertise your business?

click photo for more information
Looking for a way to advertise your business?
If you’ve been looking for a way to advertise your business in a way that actually generates high quality traffic and new customers, IntelliBanners is just what you’ve been looking for. Banner advertising is a powerful tool. Banners can increase logo recognition, promote brand awareness, and generate leads. However, trying to manage, track, and update […]
208

The Rumor’s Are True I Now Own Traffic At The Races

click photo for more information
The Rumor’s Are True I Now Own Traffic At The Races
Yup it’s true it’s damn true ( stole that from 2017 WWE hall of fame inductee Kurt Angle) I am indeed the new Owner  of Traffic At The Races. Today is the first of our Year Long promos with Click Track Profit. I am super Excited to be going into the Ownership side of the […]
526

Where Business Meets Baseball!

click photo for more information
Where Business Meets Baseball!
Three folks who I have known for several years… Tom Wacker, Janelle Pineau and Boris Petricevic… All are long time surfers who are opening their traffic exchange – Major League Advertising! A huge part of Major League Advertising is their undeniable passion for baseball. They created a very unique platform that brings baseball and business […]
146

The Anatomy Of A Perfect Squeeze Page

click photo for more information
The Anatomy Of A Perfect Squeeze Page
This may seem like I’m bragging but what I’m really trying to do with this blog post is show people the formula that I’ve been using for years when I create squeeze pages that CONVERT! I call this the perfect squeeze page for a few reasons, but mainly because the thing has been converting for […]
467

The Interesting Things That Happen When You Lead By Example

click photo for more information
The Interesting Things That Happen When You Lead By Example
I have a theory…Please bare with me as I go through and explain my thoughts on how to ‘actually make money’ not only owning a traffic exchange but promoting a traffic exchange… Check out this screen shot I took yesterday; In it, you will see 6 commission notifications from 4 different programs that I promote […]
457

The Final Results – The Experiment Has Ended

click photo for more information
The Final Results – The Experiment Has Ended
After 2 weeks of promoting nothing but this blog through splash pages and squeeze pages, I’ve stopped tracking the results to see where we ended up. Here are some numbers from the ‘experiment’: – We added 19 new subscribers in the first 7 days which was remarkable simply because we never promoted the lead capture […]
800